Thursday, February 14, 2008

Postscript

It has been well over a month since I slept off off the side effects of the Neupogen and the long day in the transfusion center. I have since had the chance to put a few more things in perspective. I realized a universal truth that had always crawled around in the back of my head. If you haven't walked a mile in those shoes, you can't know the real truth. Almost all of the people who "get it" when the issue of bone marrow or stem cell donation is discussed are people whose lives have been affected in some way by cancer. Whether they themselves are survivors or a loved one has triumphed or succumbed to the disease. A branch of my extended family has had numerous battles with breast cancer. My father succumbed to cancer. Maybe for reasons such as those, when I was asked to become a stem cell donor there was no internal dialogue, no weighing the pros and cons. I just said, "yes."

From the beginning of this whole process there have been many people who have praised my decision and just a few others who just didn't get it. Someone even said to me, " You don't even know who you're donating too, I'd never do that!" I think of that now and feel terribly sad for that person. I hope that someday they get it.

My partner in all this, the recipient of my stem cells is doing well from the reports I hear. He has not rejected my cells and the doctors are waiting for signs of Chimerism, the appearance of cells bearing my own DNA signature alongside cells bearing the patients DNA within his blood. As I understand it, that's a good thing. I am looking forward to hearing more reports about his progress and hope for the day when I can shake his hand.

No comments: