Friday, February 1, 2008

The last mile


I started receiving the Neupogen injections yesterday. It is used primarily to stimulate the production of white blood cells within bone marrow. It will also stimulate the production of stem cells and set them free into my blood stream so an apheresis machine can spin them around and make them dizzy enough to make them want to jump into a plastic bag. If you're a medical professional reading this you have my apologies. I know that my explanations are the equivalent of baby talk but I never went to med school, barely passed any biology course and need to simplify all this down to a level where I can wrap my own head around all this. Speaking of medical professionals, the doctors, nurses, counselors and technicians who have guided me through this process have been so kind and loving that I get those little tears in the corner of my eyes when they aren't looking. (Please don't tell anyone!)


The potential side effects of the Neupogen have not manifested yet. I haven't grown a third eye in the back of my head and I don't feel any compulsion to go out and buy a really sharp axe. So again, I feel embarrased when I get praise for doing this. This whole process dating back to early November has been a cakewalk for me and all I am doing here is supplying some raw material.

The real praise goes to all those people who really work hard at this and ultimately to the one person who really is the bravest of all here, The anonymous guy I call Dave, the leukemia patient who is doing me the honor of accepting the stem cells I am offering.

No comments: