Saturday, January 12, 2008

Waiting patiently

The timing seems to have been just right. The stem cell collection has been put off for a couple weeks since the patient (Dave, not his real name) is going through some other medical treatments that I assume would better prepare him for the transplant. The timing was right since I am just getting over one of those nasty, annoying January colds. My voice has been so raspy for the past week that I thought of auditioning for one of those movie trailer voice-over gigs.


I keep trying to get a perspective on this thing and try to imagine if I was the one who was in need of a marrow or stem cell transplant. Who knows, maybe someday I will be in need but it isn't today. After going through the most comprehensive health evaluation I have ever experienced including x-rays, an EKG, a CT scan and enough blood work to last the rest of my life, I can safely state that I am very healthy...at least physically anyway. So for the first time I have started to think about what happens after they collect (harvest?) my stem cells and transplant them. Is there anything else I could do that would make a difference?

So I wait patiently, drink lots of water and not so much beer. I keep away from aspirin or any other OTC drugs and hit the gym almost as often as I really need to.

No comments: